Just when you thought you knew everything about Microsoft Word (MS Word), think again. Unbeknownst to most, there are many hidden features, giving no hints of its existence in MS Word’s standard user interface.
We tested four (4) hidden tricks in MS Word (compatible with both 2013 and 2016 versions) that could help you work more efficiently.
1. Convert Tables to Graphs in Three Steps.
When you have data that can be presented in a two-column table, it will be an overkill to use an Excel spreadsheet to convert this data into graph format.
Rather, use this hidden Word feature – Microsoft Graph Chart:
- Click the Insert tab on the top Ribbon.
- Select Object > Object… > Microsoft Graph Chart. Click OK.
Start filling the spreadsheet with data that you would like to convert into a chart, as shown in the image below.
2. One-step Copy Trick.
If you think the two-step trick of ‘select text and press Ctrl + C’ to copy text in Word is easy, there is a quicker alternative.
Just press the Ctrl key while dragging your mouse pointer across a text to copy it immediately.
3. Capitalise Text Without Turning on Caps Lock Key.
Select the text and press Shift and F3 buttons simultaneously, to change the case of the selected text. This dual-key press allows you to toggle between UPPERCASE, lowercase and capitalising the first letter in a selected word, without having to turn on the Caps Lock key.
4. Relieve Eye Strain with Sepia.
When your eyes feel strained reading from the glaring white background of a document, consider switching to a more eye-friendly page colour.
Use the Read Mode function and change the page colour to sepia for a warmer background hue.
Here’s how to change the background colour of an MS Word document:
- Click the View tab on the Ribbon, and select Read Mode.
- Alternatively, you can click the Read Mode icon in the Status Bar, at the bottom of the document.
- In Read Mode, click View > Page Color > Sepia.
Muhamad Aarif is the founder & CEO of Personalgrowth.blog and Warby.Parker.Watch. He is an international watch reseller, and author dedicated to boosting personal growth.